Help me finish schools in Liberia...



When I was a little girl I wanted to be a teacher, when I was in high school I still wanted to be a teacher... in my final year at school I went for an aptitude test for teaching I was told that I should be a teacher and the panel that interviewed me were so convinced that they awarded me a four year bursary...

However, challenged by my pastors wife at the time to give a year of my life to missions, I set off to do a Discipleship Training School with Youth With A Mission.  My year quickly turned to 10 with many many many wonderful stories to tell of how my desire to teach took me many interesting places and I got to do many interesting things...

I did do a diploma in teaching but not how I had originally anticipated.  I did teach in a school, but not for long...

My short term of teaching highlighted for me that I really had a heart for the vulnerable child... and like I have mentioned in an earlier post I then went to study counselling...  and now I get to use both those skills in what I do.

However, because of all I have done in community work especially in the last few years I have become convinced that the way to undo poverty in nations is to look at education.  A proper education that teaches self government and teaches children to ask questions and come up with solutions... children who believe in themselves and GOD...  this is what will change nations!

While in Liberia, I was intrigued by how many people I met worked to support their families, worked in the church and were also building schools.  Each church I went to was building a school...  no school is complete and some are more complete than others.  Why?... because in Liberia the school system is completely broken down as a result of the war.  School is a privilege and not a right for Liberian children.

Since, I have come home, I can not get these unfinished schools out of my mind... surely with the wealth of the kingdom in people support, time, materials... we can help build schools... more like help finish build schools... should this not be a mandate?

After all China is currently building roads in Liberia... if we do not move in fast with Christian Education... who will and what will their agenda be?

Please carry on having this conversation with me if this stirs anything  in your heart...

Watch this space...

Comments

Post a Comment