The Dark

 

The Dark Side

I will never forget the first time a doctor told me I was depressed and sent me to a psychiatrist.  It was the scariest and most traumatic thing I had ever been through in my mental health.  I had a job, I was a mom of a beautiful family but I was not coping.  I had tried to reach out to people around me at the time, but it was a walk I had to do alone.  I was living by the promise a minister had given me at 16 that my mental health would be ok because of who I am.  Just keep doing good Kay!

I started exercising, spending more time paying attention to my emotions and committed to better self care.  Work remained stressful and it became clear there was more to the dark side than I could understand.  I continued to give my best.  When it turned out that my best was not good enough, I walked out of the job. 

The problem at that time was I needed my support system like never before. We were just making big life changes and at the time I thought it was part of the greater picture and things were going to fall together well.  How wrong I was!

The unravelling of safety, home and the growing demands on my family led me back to a psychologist in 2017.  This time I was more open to look at why I was depressed and it became clear that it was not a new feeling.  I had worked hard to ignore it and found it hard to believe because I love my family, my work and I have a lot of passion.  The things put in place for my self care worked temporarily.

I started reading widely and started understanding that I had bigger issues in life.  I had been walking with a high ACE score and that my body was catching up with informing me that not all is ok.

I was diagnosed with an auto immune disease at the beginning of 2020, reminding me again that the body keeps score.

Covid hit and hunger hit and I found myself and my family working harder than ever before.  I ran myself ragged!

It is 2021 now and we are still working hard, but my melt downs/Burnout symptoms have become more frequent.  It is clear that I have co-dependency issues and not the greatest emotional boundaries.  It is clear that I am not always ok!

But this too shall pass right?


 

Comments