Remembering Moments



I had no idea when I set foot on this base on Sunday afternoon that this would be a defining moment.  If I go back to my time in Germany and the experiences I had there too, I think it has become very clear to me that for the first time of this very long walk I have been on I know now what I am carrying…

The call to work with Children at Risk was first on my DTS in Muizenberg in 1990… it was heard by me and I said YES.  For 14 years I pursued that call in YWAM and I had a lot of wonderful opportunities and experiences of which the best remains meeting and falling in love with Holger… yes, yes youth with a marriage!  28  years ago I said YES to God to do something for children in the world. After we left YWAM in 2004 we grounded two organisations and these organisations is what has opened the doors for me to come back into YWAM not as a student, but as a trainer…  this is my third Children at Risk School.

I struggle as I sit and think about the road behind.  I teach what I teach with ease and experience and that it why I am enjoined I think.  I am sensitive and understand people… but today I also reflect on what it has cost to get this far.  I do have so much to give.

Last week I had the wonderful privilege of getting a few hours with my niece who had just got back from a mission trip to Nepal.  Her story, her excitement and what God had done was beautiful for me.  I love her so much and it means so much to me to see her living her life in the service of God’s Kingdom and for people who have never heard.
She told us the story in a little one man play of her journey up a mountain in a bus.  My heart was racing listening to how on the edge it was, how dangerous and I felt relieved as she went on that she had survived… because she literally was living on the edge that day.  10 hours later they arrived at the destination which was only a 130 km’s away.  She then told us how beautiful it was up there.  The view…

I tell this story as in some ways today as I teach and look back on my life that it how it feels...  the journey was not that far… but it was a rocky and a hard road at times… steep and at times with dangers I had no idea I would need to face.
I am on the base looking around at passionate young people.  They are getting on, praying, playing, worshiping, “workduting”(YWAM word for working hard) with a smile, learning… I have something to give!  I know it is a part, but it is a valuable part.  I get to share what I have learnt about God on my healing journey and how we can perhaps use this to help children and hurting adults around us…

The view is beautiful up here…

Biking in The Netherlands


Comments