Post Narrative Conference musings of a...


Thirteen years ago, I started my “practical” journey as a counsellor and healer in a church set up.  Months of dreaming, studying and planning turned into my minister at the time Richard Maybery commissioning myself and my dear friend and supporter Rhonda Crouse… in some ways I have reflected on it lately in my often-religious discourse FILTER I see my life experience through … it was the day I was “ordained” and started my official journey as a counsellor doing my practical student hours as a member on church staff and a small part of a BIG DREAM.
The reason I remember the day so clearly is because I was fully pregnant and although Rhonda had visible signs of God touching her as she was prayed for, all I really felt was the early pangs of labour… (yes, as Richard and the leaders of the church laid their hands on me I went into labour.   My gorgeous baby was only born two days later however, it was the longest and intense of all my labour experiences.)

I do not want for the lack of space and time to unpack the journey story today…. But what a story it is.  I have wrestled this role I should play and what role I should wear as I engage with my world.  Some of you reading my blog and who are close to me know this to be true.  Many people have tried to help me define and box it over the years some by invite and others not… all done in a way to try and bring a definition to this complex women's call. The one thing that has always through the journey remained key and informed my practice is the belief that the church should be a healing community.
The defining of myself as a counsellor, healer, caregiver has gone through so many different fires in the last thirteen years, but the core belief of myself in that role has remained the centre of all I have done…
The journey, the movement of this role, the struggle…  has been complicated by many different things.  One of the struggles has been trying to get a DEGREE that would break me out of my pseudo qualification to really being allowed to do what I do.  This has been painful.

Yesterday, I stood up and showed off my work and myself to other voices of people and all the people in the room did not know me and were professional Therapists and later I found out lecturers at Universities and I am so glad I did not know that when I stood up to start.  They risked coming to my session at the Narrative Conference… and it turns out that many who came, came because I was new to the scene of narrative and they were looking for something fresh.
It was very scary for me and I had to be very brave.  I opened my mouth and shared what I had prepared… years of learning and the affirmation of findings of a research project that confirms we have a valuable product.  I was so affirmed by this room of people yesterday who received me, gave me invites to deeper relationship...they liked my tale and affirmed the work.  I am still this morning chewing on some of the feedback, praise, invites… and who the people were that gave me feedback!

I felt celebrated…

I felt it was ok to be me and be whatever it is I am without a box…

AND

It felt good, really good to be accepted!


Comments