Still a bit shattered...

Today is June 16, 2013.  A day when South Africa stops to reflect on the terrible events of 1976...

In June 1988, my history teacher showed us the picture of the Soweto uprising, which was not in our History Text Books yet and proceeded to tell us the "truth" about our nation.  Up until that point, I had asked questions, I had been confused by some of my experiences and how I was being brought up with at least two doctrines of the value of people and... but I had not been allowed to ask questions.  My questions were silenced with "we do not speak about politics, religion and..." in public.  When I asked my parents about the inconsistencies I was told not worry with things like that as it may hurt me, but to rest assured that they were not racists! Now this man had given me an opportunity to think about it, question it and come to my conclusion that something was seriously wrong with the world.  I had felt that way for a long time, but that day... it was confirmed.

From that point I went on to educate myself.  I committed myself to treating all people with respect and fighting the indoctrination of racism in my education...  I poured myself into HISTORY.

What I have done with my life and what I went on to study and practice has been a working out of a place of really truly believing that all men are equal...

Two weeks ago I took my eldest daughter, some youth from two districts I work in and... we attended the youth debate in the National Assembly. My first shock was that the gallery where the public comes to watch and learn about what is going on was empty... except for five other people.  We watched as the political parties made their statements about youth and what they are doing for youth, while the other parties mocked and taunted at the lies and corruption.  It became painfully clear very quickly that the government as it stands intends to do nothing for youth except use them to get themselves further in the next election.  There was no solid plan from any of them and I left feeling like the youth are on their own still.  It was a shock but no surprise that the youth parliament where youth get to debate with the current government was cancelled this year... Our President was out all week and weekend talking TO youth but not listening to them.  Millions set aside for youth development has gone missing and we are supposed to believe as South Africans that things have gotten better since 1976...

On Youth Day 2013... I do not see how we have come any further in the last 20 years post-apartheid.  Poverty and crime are on the increase.  We are a violent nation! Our education means very little in the Global economy and... the whites are still blamed... even in parliament.


Comments